To contact one of the church wardens please see our contacts list for Wiveliscombe. As St. Luke’s is part of the Wiveliscombe parish one of the listed church wardens will be able to handle any direct enquiries about St. Luke’s.
Church History and Information:
The delightful Langley church, with its pointed bellcote is set back from the road at the end of a short pathway, an earlier church having been based in Hillside Barn, believed to have been a mission church for the miners. The architect’s plans for Langley Mission Room, dated 17th October 1892 are in the County Record Office. Locally nicknamed the ‘Langley Cathedral’, it was opened on 14th October 1893 as a mission church dedicated to St Luke with seating for 100. Made of corrugated iron, the building was delivered in sections and erected, at Reverend Howard McCricks’s own expense, on land given by the Bouchers of Greenway Farm. Services are held on a regular basis conducted by the clergy of St Andrew’s, although some in the past were led by lay readers ‘Daddy’ Newnham and Harold Ulliot. Shortly before the new millennium the church was in need of major repairs. The local residents enthusiastically raised funds, obtained practical help and donations and as well as repainting they were able to replace the roof and doors.