To contact a church warden please see our contacts list for The Hills. The church that each warden is associated with is listed alongside their name.
Church History and Information:
St. Peter’s is a prominent part of the village of Huish Champflower. For more information on the parish and the village please visit their website.
The early history of St. Peter’s is obscure [as is often the case when a Church dates back to Norman times and perhaps before]. The first mention of a Chaplain was in 1187 and in 1226, there is a Church building. Thomas de Huish Champflower was the Patron [with responsibility for providing a Priest for the Church until 1297]. However, it appears that nothing of the Norman building has survived since the main body of the present Church dates from the early C15, which places it in the English Gothic category, otherwise known as Perpendicular. So, the Church was probably built around the time of the wars of the Roses.
However, the great East window [which measures 18 feet x 20 feet] has in its intrinsic traceries, something of the exuberance of the preceding decorated style. There is an unauthenticated tradition that it and its incorporated stained glass was brought from the dissolved Priory of Barlynch in the C16.
The main panels show a Tree of Jesus which traces the direct descent of Christ’s family from Jesse, the father of David. In an age when most people were illiterate, illustrations such as these, executed by craftsmen of amazing skill, were a prime means through which they could learn the basic stories of the Christian canon. Stained galls [particularly that of the medieval period] needs conservation treatment every 100 years – this window is now long overdue!
More can be found about the history of church here.